Monday, September 17, 2012

Song and Prayer

I whole heartedly love and believe in the power of music. Music is all around me in Soweto. It comes in the form of house music bass bumping through my walls on the weekends, choir performances in church, or Outkast playing through phone speakers as people excitedly share their US music with me. The culture, emotions, hopes, dreams, faith, etc. of a place are all bound up in music and it's something I will reflect on and try to share more as the year progresses. I wanted to quickly share this song as it resonates so perfectly with me and explains the journey I'm on. Here it is. I do not feel helpless or blue at the moment, but the lyrics, thought progression, and tone of his voice hit me every time I listen.

Also, the following prayer was shared via Rachel's blog. She's working at a creche near Pretoria and they sing it every morning. I'll let you go find her blog on the YAGM family page to read more about her time in her own words.

“Father we thank you for the night.
And for the pleasant morning light.
For rest and food, and love we pray,
And others – make them well today.
Help us to do the things we should,
To be to others kind and good.
In all we do, in all we say,
To grow more lovely every day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment